receiver serial number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• receiver serial number

New guy.. I'm interested in building a m40 or a m40a1 rifle. I have 2 Rem 700 receivers the one I'm going to build on first is ser # 6,243,9xx does this number fall into the correct range for the m40.

Thanks

No it doesn't. Look at the M40 build guide for the correct serial number range, but it is in the six digits, not seven.

One other thing. Are you sure the first character is a 6 and not a G? If it is a G it would be correct for a late M40A1. Somewhere in the back recesses of my mind Remington serial numbers don't go over 999,999 then they add a letter prefix or change to a different one.

Comment

Did the CMP have some 7 digit 40s either full rifles or barreled receivers. I'm recalling they may have been Air Force guns or another service/agency.
      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

I was under the impression that Remington also provided the Corp with M40's with seven digit actions. I don't think there was too many six digit actions still available as late as 1969 when according to Senich the Corp received 137 rifles. Also in his book One Round War, page 260, were the AMU on the form 22 wrote Marine M40 and the rifles serial # 6257338. Although it may have really been a Sonic's rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by 29aholic View Post
          No it doesn't. Look at the M40 build guide for the correct serial number range, but it is in the six digits, not seven.

One other thing. Are you sure the first character is a 6 and not a G? If it is a G it would be correct for a late M40A1. Somewhere in the back recesses of my mind Remington serial numbers don't go over 999,999 then they add a letter prefix or change to a different one.
          I just went and checked the # is 6,243,9xx the other receiver is A6,457,2xx

Comment

6 Digits...168,XXX-322,XXX is the known norm for the 6 digit ser# range for the Vietnam era M700 later transitioned to the M40A1. There were a small # of what were referred to as the "transition rifles" in the late 60's early 70's that were 7 digit. These were what most guys have seen as trophy rifles or CMP sold rifles.
            In 1990 there were 99 M700 receivers purchased by the Corp. that were "C" prefixed receivers. The "G" prefix receivers were used for the "late" M40A3 and into and through out the A5. A "few" of these "G" prefix receivers have also transitioned into the A6.

Comment

Anderson3754, welcome to the forum

Here are the serial ranges for the 6-digits M40 receivers/rifles:

168179 to 168889
              221172 to 221604
              224113 to 224387
              322701 to 322769

All known 7-digits are in the 6257XXX range. Most are presentation rifles, markmanship trophy gifts. Some were loaned to manufacturers for testing purposes (Sionics, AMU, etc.). Unless other guns are found, 7-digits are in this range.

Link to my article about the 7-digits guns.

http://www.m40rifle.com/forum/m40/92...40-m700-rifles

Comment

" I have 2 Rem 700 receivers the one I'm going to build on first is ser # 6,243,9xx does this number fall into the correct range for the m40".

As others have noted, that is not in the serial number range for USMC M40s, but apparently your serial # of 6.24M is kind-of close to some M40s reportedly used by the US Air Force (and for R&D purposes).
                Information is lacking re the mysterious USAF M40 rifles, but I will note that CMP auctioned off one of these barreled receivers in 2015 (for big $$), that may have been transferred to them from the Air Force:

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail....Action-6257239

"M40 Sniper Rifle Barreled Action (serial #) 6257239
                M40 Sniper rifle Barreled action. This barreled action is serial number 6257239, and may have been an USAF rifle.
                Short action Remington M700, clip slotted and US marked. This barreled action appears to have been rebarrelled since the barrel does not have the typical Remington proof marks/stamps on the left side of the barrel, and has a recessed crown. ME=1. Barrel is chambered for 7.62x51mm NATO. Bolt is serialized to the action, and has good headspace...."

...just an fyi.
                Last edited by Random Guy; 12-16-2016, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Between 6257XXX and 6243XXX, that's 14000 digits. That's at least, 5 months apart.

- Earliest known 7-digits rifle #6257207 was assembled in Aug. 1969 (WS)
                  - Rifle #6257259 and 6257284 in Sept. 1969 (DS)
                  - Latest known 7-digits rifle #6257333 in Aug. 1969 (WS)

They're all very tightly packed in the 6257XXX range. I say assembled because the receiver serial number has nothing to do with the built date, its just a sequential number. Now, only 137 M40 rifles were assembled in 1969. They must be all 7-digits because Remington started the 62XXXXX serial sequence after the 1968 Gun Control Act (Oct.).

6257333 minus 6257207 = 126. That's very close to the 137 total 7-digits rifles assembled in 1969. That's just assumption, but I think it's safe to say that all 7-digits are in the 6257XXX range.

Of course, 6243XXX would be somewhat 'correct' for a clone rifle, but definitely too far away from the M40 production run.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for this help and information, very interesting when these rifles were built. I guess I'll start this project as a clone or period correct possibly.
                    I'll start with this 6,243,xxx receiver, I have a Leupold scope base almost identical to the Redfield, and I have a 26 inch 10 twist Obermeyer bbl takeoff that should work fine.

Is the barrel contour the actual Remington varmint barrel pattern or did they have a proprietary contour?

Comment

Get in touch with DepTaylor and see if he has any wood left.

He is about your best option for a stock unless you can carve your own.

Good luck with your project.
                      "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

The only reference to 7 digit receiver no. 6257341 (listed with question marks in the moderator's great post of known 7 digit serial numbers from 2015) which I have been able to discover is from a post on snipers hide by a gentleman in 2014 from Seattle who said he had seen it, and perhaps someone can give us more information on that one. Here's the 2014 post that mentions it:
                        1. Reply With Quote

• 09-17-2014, 02:17 PM #39

mjh30
                          1. Gunny Sergeant

Join Date Aug 2008 Location Seattle Posts 1,692

Mescabug, I believe there were 4 or 5 USMC M40 presentation rifles built, serial numbers for two are listed in Senichs book 6257207 & 6257276. One presentation rifle was sold by Rock Island Auction in late 2009, ($14950) serial # on that rifle was 6257284, I'm pretty sure that 6257227 was another but I would have to check my notes. The CMP rifle that sold for $36000 was 6257259, another barreled action that CMP sold a few years ago was 6257301 $4650). I'm under the impression that the presentation rifles were originally an Air Force contract rifle but Marty B would know for sure. The highest serial number I have seen on a US marked, clip slotted Model 700 is 6257341.

Also, I have talked to the historian guy(s) on the phone at Remington about serial numbers in this serial number range, as we all know they are not overly helpful, and he/they have stated that at least some of the guns in this range were built in 8/69 and shipped by Remington in 12/69 to "Boston MA." Does anyone have any idea who or what entity would have been receiving these 7 digit guns or some of these guns in Boston? I am not at all familiar with the military facilities that existed there in 1969. Scionics was obviously way down south (as I recall Alabama or Georgia, I 'd have to go look to correct my recollection). Thank you!
                        jack1911

Comment

• Defender3
                          Defender3 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hanscom Air Force Base?

Boston had a thriving Navy Yard in Charlestown with a goodly sized Marine Barracks. Just about all the seaport area in South Boston used to be an Army Base that served as a central supply depot. Things could have been shipped to the Boston District than been redistributed just about anywhere.

By 1969 the bases were winding down. Who in liberal Boston would want those icky military presences and the tens of thousands of jobs they provided?

Comment

Originally posted by MescaBug View Post
                          Anderson3754, welcome to the forum

Here are the serial ranges for the 6-digits M40 receivers/rifles:

168179 to 168889
                          221172 to 221604
                          224113 to 224387
                          322701 to 322769

All known 7-digits are in the 6257XXX range. Most are presentation rifles, markmanship trophy gifts. Some were loaned to manufacturers for testing purposes (Sionics, AMU, etc.). Unless other guns are found, 7-digits are in this range.

Link to my article about the 7-digits guns.

http://www.m40rifle.com/forum/m40/92...40-m700-rifles
                          lololololol

Comment

Piteously Uniformed, I would have to check my notes when I get home with regards to serial #6257341. With regards to the serial number issue, the rifle that Remington was selling was the Remington M700 Sniper, it was available to whoever wanted to buy it, Air Force, Army, Navy, Sionics Inc, Wyoming state Police to name just a few.. As we know the Air Force actually placed the first contract for the M700 Sniper rifle, then the Corp. To be honest I think we are all pretty confident with regards to the serial number range for the Corp's initial order of 700 rifles. The 62 rifles the Corp ordered in 1967 I can only surmise were also 6 digit serial numbered rifles. The gun control act that was signed into law in October of 1968 resulted in the changing of the serial number range, but as for the 87 rifles that were ordered that year by the Corp it is anyone's guess with regards to the serial numbers. The 146 rifles ordered by the Corp between 1969-1971 I can only surmise were 7 digit rifles, most of the original 7 digit rifles I have seen, seem to bear 69 barrel markings. Unfortunately other than a few individuals who have access to the DOD registry, I'm afraid we will never know the true serial number range for the Corp's M40 rifles. I am hoping that someday Marty B finishes his book on the M700 Sniper rifle and that may throw some more light on the matter. I suppose if you are fortunate to have/own a seven digit US marked rifle, there's always the freedom of information route to obtain more information.

Comment

• SemperFi
                              SemperFi commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The Corps is not a Corporation.
                          Working...
                          X